Putting the Happy into Your Holidays
Joy and peace. They are the words we see and hear a lot of during the holiday season. However, with the expense and other stresses of the season, the holidays can feel anything but joyous and peaceful for some people. Here are some tips to put the happy into your holidays:
- Give to others. Saint Francis of Assisi once said, "For it is in giving that we receive." When we know we are making a difference in the lives of others, we feel good about ourselves. During the holiday season, there are plenty of opportunities to give. Consider donating toys or clothing to children in need.
- Volunteer your time. Another important way you can give is to volunteer your time. Consider volunteering at a food pantry to help feed the homeless or visiting the elderly at a nursing home.
- Avoid overspending. One of the biggest stressors of the holiday season is the expense of holiday gift giving. Set a budget and stick to it, and try to pay for gifts in cash. You'll be overjoyed after the holidays when you don't have to dig out of debt.
- Make gifts. One way to save on your gift spending is to make gifts for those you love. The time you spend making gifts will show the recipients you care.
- Share your joy with others. The holiday season is a time for sharing. Invite friends, neighbors, and family members to join you in your holiday celebrations or events, such as cookie swaps or holiday parties.
- Stay healthy. With all the treats of the holidays, it's easy to eat poorly and gain weight. Try to stay active during the season. Go for brisk walks or go ice skating or sledding if the weather cooperates. And try to avoid sugar, alcohol, and unhealthy foods.
- Avoid crowds. Nothing is less joyous than trying to find a parking space in a crowded mall parking lot or waiting in long lines. If possible, try to get your shopping done early, shop online, or avoid peak shopping times, such as weekends.
- Enjoy holiday traditions. Do you have a favorite holiday tradition from your childhood? Try and continue it. It can be as simple as watching a favorite movie or making a favorite recipe.
Best wishes to you and yours for a peaceful and joyous holiday season.